Sunday, March 5, 2017

Second Date


I’ve recently discovered on the radio as segment called “Second Date or Ditch” It’s where a listener contacts the show to get their help getting in touch with someone they recently went out with for a first date, that isn’t returning their calls or text for some unknown reason, to get a second date. They explain to the hosts how the first date went and gives their reason to why the think the other person isn’t giving them a call back. The radio show hosts then call the other person and find out the other side of the story of the date, what went wrong, and why they aren’t responding to their listener. The catch is that the one who called for help is listening in on the other line. The host ask both parties, after learning each other’s thoughts on the subject of having a second date, if they would be up for a second date (radio show would pay), or would like to ditch the whole idea. Most the time the answer is No (there’s a reason there wasn’t a response in the first place) and sometimes there’s a Yes. It’s a pretty entertaining show to listen to in the morning.
Though, the more I listen to the show the more grateful I am pass the first date stage, and even the second date. I told my boyfriend Zach about the show and he told me if I had done that he probably won’t be dating me now. Haha. Well.. It’s a good thing I didn’t know about the show then, and that I had patience to wait for a second date. Our circumstance were different though then most the listeners that call in. Most were set up on the first date, or met the person online. Zach and I were friends first for a couple years, and attend the same church ward. After our first date we saw each other at church and at activities, so I knew he wasn’t avoiding me. We were both interested in going out again, it was just hard getting our schedules to match up. I’m so glad they finally did. :) It only took two months. Haha.
Let me back up.. You see our first date was at the end of December. The 30th to be exact. ;) We went to the Kearns Olympic Oval to see the Winter Wonderland lights they had on display. It was awesome! We drove through the exhibit with the radio on a specific station, as instructed, and watched how the lights danced to the music. It was wonderful. At the end of the date we both expressed how much fun we had and our interest in going out on another date. I’ve been on many first dates in the past, and had even had some interest of a second date expressed. Most the time a second date didn’t happen, and sometimes it did hurt. But with Zach I knew it was different.  I don’t know how to explain it, it just felt different. I could tell he was genially interested in going out again.
Not to boast or anything, but I consider myself a patient person. I was told by a few of my mission companions that I am an extremely patient person, so it’s not just me. I feel I am pretty good at having patience for others, but not so much for myself. I did get down on myself for not picking up the language fast enough on the mission, and in the years since for still being single. Perhaps being patient isn’t always a good thing, but for me it has been a strength.
As I mention before, it was approximately two months in between my first date and second date with Zach. At the end of January, after talking to my sister-in-law Kelli, I decided to act and asked Zach out for a second date. I did it! I call him and asked him out for a second date… well.. sort of. I got his voicemail. He called back less than an hour later to let me know he got my message but unfortunately the day and time I had requested were unavailable to him.. so we rain checked the idea. He assured me he was still interested in going out on another date, but was busy with school and family. I am glad I called because not only did he know I was interested, I received the reassurance that he was still interested as well.
Today, March 5, marks a year since our second date. We went out for sushi with Matt and Heather (our first double date by the way :)) then to the movies, and ended with a game of phase 10. Which I totally won by the way. It was a super long date, probably to make up for the tardiness, (haha) but it was so much fun. I’m glad that date lead to a third date a week later, where we had the “talk” to define our relationship. It’s been a great adventure so far, and I’m excited for it to continue. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment