Sunday, March 4, 2018

Bridal Shower Recap: Hurst Style


Yesterday was my final bridal shower with my Hurst side of the family. I’ve been looking forward to this party for a very long time, way before I was a bride!! You see, in the Hurst Family we have EPIC bridal showers. They are my favorite!!! :) :)
We have so much fun with our theme showers. How it works is that the party has a theme and everyone is given an assignment to base their gift on, aka inspire them. For example, in the past we have done the alphabet, where everyone is assigned a letter of the alphabet. We’ve also done States, Holidays, Games, Time of Day, and Books. (I really enjoyed that last one.) They are so much fun!!
So my theme I have had picked out for about a year and half (approximately) Haha. It was about the time I was binge watching “Once Upon A Time” on Netflix and re-reading my all-time favorite book series “The Lunar Chronicles” by Marrissa Meyer. What do these two things have in common? Fairytales! They take classic stories and put a twist on it.. so I thought why not have that as a bridal shower theme?! I knew my family could handle it. ;)
Here’s a copy of the invitation (the assignments were filled out on each individual invitation):


Decorations were Disney Princesses because that’s what the store had. It totally worked. The food was simple: veggie tray with ranch, fruit with dip, pinwheel sandwiches, cookies, and a sprite base drink. It was delicious! :)
My niece Izzi was in charge of answering the door and inviting the guest down stairs. I hear she did an amazing job. At the bottom of the stairs we had a table set up of a game to have the guest write on Jenga pieces marriage advice for Zach and I. The idea was to help us with our “happily ever after” ;) We got some really great advice:


We had a really good turn-out. We had 28 out of 36 guest who were able to make it. I have a lot of aunts and cousins. (It’s awesome. :)) Now on to the gifts and bragging about how clever (and generous) my family is. So part of the gift game is having the bride (that’s me!) guess what fairytale inspired the gift. It was different being on this end of the game. Haha. It was harder to guess than I had anticipated!
My Aunt Lisa and cousin Athena got me a big pot with some cooking utensils, a bag of Hurst’s Beans (to remember where I came from ;)) and golden eggs filled with chocolate. I should have had it with beans, but it took to seeing the golden eggs with the beans to place it together as “Jack and the Beanstalk” Awesome.
My cousin Alyssa (on my mom’s side) got me a broom and dust pan with a beautiful white sign that read, “There’s No Place Like Home. Est 2018” When I read the sign a second time I imagined clicking my heels together and knew it was inspired by “The Wizard of Oz”! :D
My Aunt Toni (my mom’s sister) spoiled me. Haha. She got me bag of flour with bread pans, kitchen towels, And ceramic bowls, casserole dish, and canisters with red hens and roasters. You guessed it- “The Little Red Hen” It’s so cute! My Aunt Toni also told me every hen needs her roaster. Awe!! J
My cousin Cara got me a broom with chocolate gold coins. Hum. She pointed out the broom was made out of straw. “Rumpelstiltskin”? Yes! Her card was super cute too (which I read after so not to spoil my guess) which read: “My fairytale is Rumpelstiltskin. Maybe he could turn this straw into gold for you..” Awe! No worries I don’t plan to bargain my first born. Haha!
My cousin Jessica got us a Groupon for the Front Archery for one hour of Archery Tag for Two. I didn’t even know that was a thing!! It sounds amazing! I know Zach will LOVE it! What a great date idea! At first I thought this was inspired by Robin Hood, because he has a bow and arrow. But I was wrong. I had to think and with little help from the peanut gallery concluded it was inspired by “Brave” Of course!! :) I’m excited for us to go! Yay!
My sister-in-law Hillary got me a night gown. It’s a beautiful long white silk gown. I guessed “Emperor's New Clothes”? and was denied. Hum. Hillary then gave a hint asking where I use it? …. To sleep in? Oh! “Sleeping Beauty”!! :)
My cousin-in-law (my cousin’s wife) Heather got me a cool looking plant and a sign that reads “Always Kiss me Goodnight” It took a while and with some help learned it was inspired by “The Frog Prince” Ah. I see that now. Clever!
My Grandma Hurst got me a casserole dish and a box of stuffing. This one was a thinker. I received a hint to think what stuffing is made out of.. bread crumps. Oh! “Hansel and Gretel” Very clever!! I like it! :)
My sister-in-law Kelli got me a basket with oven mites inside and separately cooking pots. I had guessed this one earlier when Kelli put it on the table when she said “you can probably guess what this one is just by the basket” and I said.. “Little Red Ridding Hood?” Yup. J It’s such a cute basket too! I love it!!
My future sister-in-law and matron of honor Heather and my future mother-in-law DaWanda came and they also played our silly game. How thoughtful of them! They got me a blanket, some pillows, and a sleeping mask. It took me a while because I forgot there were duplicates. This was also “Sleeping Beauty” Awesome! Though, I think Zach will get more use out of the sleeping mask then me, now that he is working graveyards shifts and sleeping during the day. No worries, I don’t mind sharing. :)
My cousin Kristen got us a cutting board and kitchen utensils. Huh? Some of the guest were helping me brainstorm, and pointed out that they were made out of wood.. and I overheard someone guess “Pinocchio” which sounded good so I went with it. Haha. I told you my family is clever! :)
My cousin Shannon was unable to attend, due to being in Disneyland and all. However her mom brought her gift, which I already knew what it was because I had requested it back in October. She does calligraphy lettering art (she’s so talent! Follow her on Instagram @alltheshannanigans) so I had requested after Zach and I dressed up as “Lilo and Stitch” the Ohana quote. I love it so much!! I texted Zach a picture to which he replied “That made me smile a lot.” :D Zach does an amazingly adorable stitch impersonation. I love it so much! This quote is perfect to hang in our future home together. J


My Aunt Elaine got us a set of bowls with an assortment of cereals. Hum. This also took some thought. After talking it over with everyone we concluded it was “Goldilocks and the Three Bears” Instead of porridge she got us cereal, which I’m totally okay with because I’m not a huge fan of porridge.
My cousin-in-law Courtney got me green towels and mugs with swans on them. Hum.. “The Swan Princess”? Yes! They are super cute mugs too. :) I’m looking forward to Zach and I to use them with nice cups of hot chocolate. Mmm.
My cousin Heidi was super clever! I am so impressed. She got me a light lamp and a carpet. Lamp.. Carpet… it’s “Aladdin”!! which has always been a favorite of mine. I love her take on it! Super clever!
My Grandma Dianna (Lisa’s mom) wrote hers on the wrapping paper, “Snow White”. She didn’t know I had to guess. I don’t mind a freebee. Haha. She got me pillows, a chocolate kiss, and an adorable salt and pepper shaker of Doppy bowing down for a kiss and Snow White bending down to give him a kiss. It’s so cute!! :)
My Aunt Patty got us a soft serve ice cream making with sprinkles. This one was a challenge to guess. Lisa hinted (she had the master list) for me to think cold.. “Frozen”? Yes! I’m excited to make ice cream. I love ice cream!
My Aunt Jeanine got us knives, which I was told to think sword. We guessed wrong “Sword in the Stone”? Nope. I was told it’s not widely known this character uses swords, and after few more failed guess I was informed it was “Robin Hood” Oh! I learned something new.
My Aunt Renae was really upset about her assignment because it was a hard one. That was my fault, I told Kelli and Lisa to give Renae a hard one because I knew she could handle it. She was the queen of the letter Q when we had our alphabet shower. Haha. She got us three bowls with graters on them. She said to focus on three and knowing the list knew it was “The Three Billy Goats Gruff” Graters are rough, it totally makes sense.. when you think about it. :)
Sheila, my girlfriend-in-law (she’s dating my cousin) got me a blanket, a can of peas, and a super duper cute salt and pepper shaker set of peas. That was easy! “The Princess and the Pea” Renae commented “Yeah you gave her an easy one” She’s new and we don’t want to scare her away. Haha. :)
My stepmom Lisa got us a vacuum. In which fairytale was there cleaning? So my first guess was “Cinderella”. I was right! Someone (I can’t remember) commented it was a modern day Cinderella, which we all laughed.
The Westenskow gang, Lisa’s sister Lana and her daughters Nicole, Meagan, and Becca went in on a gift. I was told few days ago Lisa heard from her mom that Lana said they cheated and combined forces. They used one of their assignments and came up with a gift together. I’ll allow it. I’m just glad they came! So they got me a water pitcher purifier, candle sensed moonlight, knives, and Swedish Fish. I brainstormed it could maybe be “The Little Mermaid” because the fish and the water pitcher and was told I was right. What about the knives? Because that one scene.. oh right. Knives are just hard to guess. Haha.
My Aunt Melissa and my cousin Lucy got me cleaning supplies and a cute lip bom of blond girl. She looks like Cinderella and that is what I guessed. It was right! Sweet! The kit will come in handy, so will the lip bom.
The last three gifts were from my May family. They aren’t related by blood but we go way back, like when I was in diapers. I just had to invite them! They are practically family. We used to live next door when I was really little and they used to babysit my siblings and I. I’m so glad they were able to make it and am impressed by their gifts.
Betty (the mom) got me a tea kettle and candles … “Beauty and the Beast”? Yes! Now Zach and I can have candle light dinners. Oo La La. :)
Becky (sister) got me a bathroom basket and hair towels with a sign that read “You are my Sunshine” … she told me the towel was for my *long* hair. Oh! “Rapunzel”! I love it! I’m excited to try out they hair towel, it looks cool. I also really love the sign, since my nickname for Zach is Sunshine. :)
Jenny (sister) got me a room heater. Perfect! Just what the girl who is always cold needs! Yes! She gave me a hint to think of what a heater does.. it blows.. “Three Little Pigs”! She also got me art, that she gives at every shower and doesn’t go with the theme, of a couple in the tub and she customized it to say our names. Awe!! So cute! That will look nice in our future bathroom.
After gifts I told everyone thank you and gave hugs. Everyone mingled for a bit. It was fun to catch two of my cousins from two different sides of the family, Nicole and Alyssa, talking and bonding. It makes me so happy! Also during this time my sister Becca Faced Time me which made me really happy she made an appearance. She lives in Seattle and was unable to make it to the party. Before she got off the phone I got my bridesmaid all together to present them with a gift of my own. A thank you gift for all their help, adorable sunflower necklaces I found on Pinterest and led me to etsy. They are so adorable! Just see for yourself:


It was such a great party! I had such a great time. I am proud of my family’s creativity. I knew they could handle my vision of a Fairytale (Once Upon A Time/ Lunar Chronicles) themed Bridal Shower. It was a blast, just like I knew it would be. I am so incredible blessed to have such an amazing family. Their love and support means the world to me.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!
Though I must say, I do feel kind of bad Zach wasn’t with me to open presents, twice! I’ll have to be sure to include him when it comes time to open wedding gifts. I’ll be sure not to pull a Monica and wait for him. Oh come on, you all know I had to make a Friend’s reference! Haha!!

No comments:

Post a Comment