Ten Years ago this week I was called to
go on a mission. It was the hardest, most challenging, most rewarding
experience of my life.
As explained earlier this
year in this blog, I had made the decision to serve January 2006. (click
here for that post.)
I
remember I was in Deseret Book store. I had recently lost my job and didn’t know
what my next step in life should be. When I was in Deseret Book I felt so
peaceful and happy. I knew that the peaceful feeling was something I wanted in
my life all the time, and I realized I could obtain this by serving a full time
mission. In November I was finally able to submit my papers. December 20, 2006
the big white envelope of my mission call arrived.
“Dear Sister Sarah Hurst, You have herby been call to serve
in the Spain Malaga Mission. You will report to the Provo Mission Training
Center to begin your missionary training in the Spanish language on Wednesday
May 9, 2007.”
I was shocked! I had multiple thoughts
going through my head in those first few seconds after reading my call. The
first being: “Recall!” No way was I supposed to go to Spain! I couldn’t learn
Spanish, and what was with waiting until May? This was insane! It was obviously
a mistake. To say I was overwhelmed was an understatement.
Once I had time to myself, after my
family and friends that had come to watch left, I prayed. I felt guilty for
questioning my call. I had promised my Heavenly Father that I would go wherever
He wanted me to go, say what He wanted me to say, and to be what He wanted me
to be. Even though I felt inadequate for such a big call, I knew Heavenly Father
knew what He was doing and had big things in store for me.
In High School I had taken a few
Spanish courses. So I knew a little bit before arriving at the Provo MTC. I
quickly learned, however, that those classes did me no good. I again felt
myself overwhelmed and inadequate for such a major task. I felt discourage and
thought to myself that I was never going to get this language.
My teacher, Brother Bennett, was aware
of my struggle and pulled me aside. As we started to talk about it, I began to
cry.
“What you are feeling is fear.” He explained
to me. “Fear is like the dark. Do you know what the opposite of dark is?”
“Light.” I replied.
“Correct. Imagine this room was pitch
black. But then someone open the door and the light from the hall came in.
Would the room be dark anymore?”
I shook my head no.
“That’s because darkness and light cannot
co-exist. They can’t be in the same room at the same time. The light will
always win over the dark.” He paused, allowing me soak his words, and then
asked, “Do you know what the light represents in this analogy?” I shook my head no again, not sure
where he was going with all of this.
“Light represents Faith.” He explained,
“Fear and Faith, like darkness and light, cannot co-exist. Just like the light
will triumph over the darkness, faith will always win over fear. Remember
that.” And I always have.
My first transfer in the mission field
was a hard one. My trainer was by far my hardest companion. She meant well, I suppose.
I guess you could say she demonstrated “tough love”. She was on me about
everything! She was training me not just for a mission, but for life. She
criticized everything little thing I did, from the way I walked, talked, and
even how I flushed the toilet! It was hard enough that I was finding fault with
myself in my mind, and then to have a second person confirming them to me was
just too much.
One Sunday morning, after a really
challenging companionship study in which I was drilled reading Spanish and corrected
on every word pronunciation, I felt like the tiniest, most worthless thing on
the planet. I had reached the bottom. We went to church that day. I was lost in
my own thoughts of despair and worthlessness. I didn’t know what anyone was
saying nor did I care. I would never learn Spanish. I just wasn’t enough.
Then, at the end of our Sunday school
class the teacher said something, he quoted a scripture, and it was the only
thing I understood that day.
“By small and simple things are great
things brought to pass.”
(Alma 37:6)
I don’t believe it was by coincidence
that this phrase of scripture was the only thing I understood that day.
Heavenly Father knew of my struggle. He knew how small and insignificant I
felt. It was His reminder to me that He had great things in store for me. I was reminded to hold on to faith, and that by doing so I
would make it out of the darkness I found myself in.
Heavenly Father works in mysterious
ways. He trusts His imperfect children and will help them through difficult
times. I eventually was able to communicate in Spanish, and was able to teach
incredible people who have shaped me into the person I am today. I am forever
grateful for my decision to serve a mission, and encourage those who are
thinking to serve to do so. It will be hard, and challenging, however, I
promise if you put your trust in the Lord it will be the most rewarding
experience of your life.
No comments:
Post a Comment