Sunday, January 3, 2016

2016 Goals

The exciting thing about a new year is making goals. I’ve made a couple New Year’s Resolutions myself for this year of 2016.

Before I tell you what my goals are I think it is important let you know why I write them down. As the saying goes: “A goal not written down is only a wish.” By writing it down it is more likely going to happen. However, many goals, even if they are written down don’t happen. There has to be a plan in completing the goals.

Have you heard of the SMART goal outline? If not let me explain. Actually let me sum up. Each letter stands for a part of making a SMART goal:
S- Specific
M- Measurable
A-Achievable
R-Relevant
T-Time Bond
 
Now I’ll explain my goals and how I have set them to the SMART module standard. ;)


Goal #1: Read (listen) the Book of Mormon every day.
The purpose of the goal is explained in a quote by the Prophet Joseph Smith, in the introduction of the book. He said “.. that the Book of Mormon is the most correct of any book on the earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book.”
S- My goal is to not only read the Book of Mormon, but to read it every day. That is pretty specific.
M- It is measurable because it is something I will be doing every day. Now if I happen to miss a day, I promise I won’t give up thinking I have failed. I will forgive myself, and pick up again the next day.
A-I feel this goal is very achievable. I have made a plan to listen to it on my way to work. Multi-tasking is a great tool. It probably won’t take me a year to listen to the book, so that is why I will note here that I plan to start over when I am done and begin again. That’s the beautiful thing about the Book of Mormon. It is a book that never ends. It should and must be read over and over. ;) (I wonder how many times I can read it this year..) Once I’m done the first time I will re-evaluate if listen to it worked or if I need to make different arrangements.
R-This goal is very relevant. As mention in the quote above, by reading the Book of Mormon I will draw nearer to God, which is the ultimate goal and purpose.
T-It is also Time Bond because I will review at the end of the year come December how I did, and how it effect my life and testimony.
 
Goal #2: Write in this Gratitude blog once a week.
A quote by Fredrick Keonig explains my purpose to this goal and this blog-
“We tend to forget that happiness doesn’t come as a result of getting something we don’t have, but rather recognizing and appreciating what we do have.”
S- My goal is to write in the blog once a week. At least. There might be a few times I might write more, out of sequence, if I feel so inspired. I don’t want to hold back if there is something to say then and there.
M- The plan is to write on Sundays. I think this will be a good transition in ending one week and beginning a new one. :) Again, if I miss a week I won’t beat myself up and quit. I will pick myself back up again and start anew.
A-This goal is achievable because I have made a plan, and have a purpose in writing and pressing forward with this goal.
R-This goal is relevant because it helps with my ultimate goal to draw near to God by focusing on my blessing, seeing the miracle moments and tender mercies. I will find and see God’s hand in my life.
T-Time bond because at the end of the year I will have a collection of 52 entries of the year to look back on and see the blessings the Lord has given me.
 
In conclusion, I am grateful for goals, for they help me want to be and do better. I know by completing these goals I will find happiness and a closer relationship with God, which is the ultimate goal I have for this year and for my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment